Bow Valley Insurance employs experienced and knowledgeable brokers whose job is to provide our clients the most comprehensive coverage available at a very competitive price. Because we represent several leading insurance companies, we can shop and compare prices and coverages of these companies.
With access to several Calgary car insurance companies, your broker will offer you more options to choose from as well as more ways to save on your car insurance. Calgary motorists with a clean driving record are more attractive to insurers, so we remind you to always obey the rules of the road. Demerit points can adversely affect driving records and car insurance in Calgary.
How Demerits Affect Your Driving Record and Driving Privileges
In general, more serious offenses earn more demerit points, which can result in higher insurance rates. When too many demerits accumulate, your driver’s license may even be suspended.
Calgary drivers often find that certain companies raise their rates after a certain number of demerit points accumulate, while other companies may not, so at renewal time work with a broker who has access to several options.
How Demerits are Assigned
The number of demerits assigned to your driving record increase in direct proportion to the severity of the offense. For offenses considered more serious, 5, 6, and 7 demerits are assigned to your driving record, which could affect your insurance rates.
You’ll accumulate 2 Demerits for the following:
- A lane-change violation
- Failure to use your turn signals and/or making an improper turn
- Failure to obey traffic control devices
- Driving in traffic in reverse
- Speeds between 1 – 15 km/h over the posted limit
You accumulate 3 Demerits for:
- Failure to stop at a red light or stop sign
- Failure to report a collision
- Driving on the wrong side of a roadway
- Improperly passing another vehicle
- Interfering with the forward progress of another vehicle that’s attempting to pass
- Stunt driving
- Speeds between 16 – 30 km/h over the limit
Your accumulates 4 Demerits for the following:
- Failure to stop when instructed by lights or the driver of a school bus
- Failure to keep enough distance between you and the vehicle in front of you (tailgating)
- Failing to yield the right-of-way when required by law
- Speeds between 31 – 50 km/h over the limit
You accumulate 5 Demerits for the following offenses:
- Failure to stop when directed to do so by the police
- Failure to stop at a railroad tracks when a train approaches
- Failure to stop for vehicles that carry flammable or other explosive material
6 Demerits are assigned to your driving record for the following:
- Racing or speeding with another vehicle
- Driving carelessly
- Speeding at 51 km/h and higher
*If you leave the scene after an accident, 7 Demerits are assigned to your record
Safe Drivers Pose Lower Risks to Insurance Companies
While your age, the type of vehicle you drive and where you live also affect your rates for car insurance Calgary, remember that insurance companies calculate rates using specific criteria to place drivers into categories of risk. The higher the risk category an insurance company assigns you, the higher your rates. When you accumulate several demerits, insurance companies consider you a higher risk.
It’s extremely important to maintain a good driving record. The best way to decrease your risk and resulting rates on car insurance Calgary is to drive safely and obey all the laws!
Car Insurance Calgary: Bow Valley Insurance
At Bow Valley Insurance, it’s our promise to find you the best car insurance available. Calgary drivers with a clean record typically get the best rates; however, if you have a less-than-perfect record, a broker with access to several insurance providers can help you save.
Before requesting a quote, check out other Ways to Save on Auto Insurance. Working with a broker gives you access to several Calgary car insurance providers and more options to choose from. Contact us if you have any questions.