Hackers have become very good at what they do, and seem to get more ambitious with each passing cyber attack. When you read about big businesses being hacked, however, it’s easy to forget that your home or small business network can also be a prime target for hackers, especially if it’s not properly secured. Cyber insurance helps to deal with the fallout of a hacking attack on your home or Calgary business, but a secure home network is your first line of defense for preventing an attack in the first place.
Hacking Home Networks: How It Works, and Why It Happens
Your home network is only as secure as the hardware and software it is comprised of, which means that hackers often target networks with outdated security systems. It’s a constant struggle between hackers and security experts.
- Hackers are extremely good at identifying and exploiting vulnerable networks, so taking the steps to secure your network is a huge deterrent. You might even look at it like another type of insurance.
- Security experts are also quite good at what they do, and work to develop software patches to eliminate known exploits. So it’s important to purchase from companies that support their tech products long-term, and to update software regularly when patches are released.
- The Internet of Things includes the many home devices that can now be connected to the Internet, like TVs, appliances, toys, and entertainment systems. These devices offer added functionality, but also present a risk when Internet security standards are lax.
- Hardware can’t be updated as easily as software, so it may be time to replace your router and modem if they have become out of date.
How to Protect Your Network and When to Consider Cyber Insurance
Keeping your network secure starts with developing good habits, including updating your software regularly. There are also plenty of small things you can do to make your network more secure.
- Never pick a WiFi password that’s easy to guess, no matter how tempting it might be. You don’t have to use the incomprehensible set of letters and numbers that come as the default password, but you shouldn’t use your phone number or birthday, either.
- If you do a lot of business or shopping online for your small business, then cyber insurance and identity theft protection is a must-have. Staying on top of security lowers your risk of an attack on your Calgary network, but even the best networks can be compromised.
The battle between hackers and security experts doesn’t seem to be slowing down anytime soon, so the best thing you can do is stay prepared. Take the time to set up a secure home or business network, and to find the insurance coverage you need to protect yourself in the event of an attack. A little effort now can save you a lot of headaches in the long run.
Bow Valley Insurance
Bow Valley Insurance is proud to provide Canadians with personal insurance solutions from a long list of well-known insurance providers. It’s easy to start your search for the right coverage with a free insurance quote from our team.