Who Needs Auto InsuranceIf you own or lease a car, it is compulsory in all jurisdictions in Canada to have automobile insurance coverage to drive your car. There are several coverages available for automobile insurance – some of the coverages are mandatory and some are optional and when looking for insurance one has to have a good understanding of these coverages and make an informed decision as to which coverage, liability limit amount, deductible amount etc. you should have to protect yourself adequately. The last thing you want to do is find out at a time of making a claim that you do not have the right or adequate coverage or the limit of coverage is not sufficient to pay for your loss.
How are Auto Insurance Premiums DeterminedWhen calculating the automobile insurance premium, the insurance companies have their own proprietary algorithms to determine the premium based on numerous factors, to name a few:
- Age of the driver
- Years of driving experience
- Driver training for newly licensed drivers
- Traffic convictions in the last 3 years
- Previous claims
- Location of the vehicle
- Number of kilometers driven annually
- Number of kilometers driven one way to work
- Make and model of vehicle
- Year of the vehicle
- Anti-theft devices
- Hybrid vehicle
- Cost of repairs for a certain make and model of vehicle
- Premium payment history
- And many more…
The insurance companies that we represent offer several discounts on Auto Insurance, including:
- Anti Theft device
- Claims Free
- Drivers Education
- Drivers over 50 years old
- Hybrid vehicle
- Multi Car (two or more cars)
- Multi Policy (your home, condo or tenants coverage combined with auto policy)
- Occupation (several occupations qualify)
- Short Commute
Auto Insurance CoveragesThere are several coverages available for automobile insurance – some of the coverages are mandatory and some are optional. Liability and Accident Benefits coverage are mandatory and all the rest of the coverages are optional.
Liability coverage covers you for the stated limit shown on your policy for claims made against you that occur due to your negligence – for example injuring an individual or several individuals in a car accident or hitting a pedestrian or damaging another driver’s car in a collision or damaging property of others like driving into a homeowners fence etc.
It is very important that you carry more than adequate limits of third party liability coverage. If you do not have an adequate limit and a judgement is awarded against you, then you could be personally held responsible to pay the difference between the insured amount and the court awarded amount.
Accident BenefitsLike liability coverage, accident benefits is a mandatory coverage and it provides coverage for additional medical and rehabilitative treatments costs as well as lost wages as a result of an insured accident.
CollisionCollision coverage pays for damage to your vehicle as a result of a collision with another vehicle or property or hitting an object on the road.
Comprehensive CoverageComprehensive coverage pays for all other damage caused to your vehicle except damage caused as a result of a collision e.g. damage caused by fire, theft, hail, vandalism etc.
Specified Perils CoverageSpecified perils coverage pays for damage caused to your vehicle by fire, theft, hail etc. (Damage by vandalism is not covered).
DeductiblesFor Collision, Comprehensive & Specified Perils a deductible is applied for any repairs done to your vehicle for an insured loss. The deductible amount varies by the coverage and can be anywhere from $500 and up. If the deductible is higher, then the premium will be lower and vice versa.
Some of the Additional Optional Coverages Available:There are numerous additional optional coverages available, to name a few, they are:
- Loss of Use: Provides for the cost of a rental vehicle or cost of use of public transportation while your vehicle is being repaired after an insured loss. This coverage has a limit on the total cost of a rental vehicle as well as a limit per day.
- Legal Liability to Non Owned Vehicles: This coverage provides coverage for physical damage only to a rental vehicle when renting in Canada and USA.
- Limited Waiver of Depreciation: This endorsement will waive any depreciation on repair or replacement of a new vehicle should it be damaged in an accident, subject to certain restrictions and time limits within the endorsement.
- Accident Rating Waiver: This coverage protects your renewal premium from being increased as a result of an at-fault accident involving the vehicle to which the endorsement covers.
- Minor Conviction Waiver: This coverage protects your renewal premium from being increased due to Minor Traffic Convictions.
- Limited Glass Coverage: This coverage limits the coverage on a vehicle’s glass. Typically, it excludes the front windshield for coverage from damage but may allow for such coverage if the damage to the windshield is caused by an accident or rollover.
- Deletion of Hail Coverage: This coverage means you do not have coverage if your vehicle is damaged by hail.
Ask Our Insurance AdvisorsOur insurance advisors will do the shopping for you from several leading insurance companies in Canada and present the quote to you, making it easy for you to choose and sign up for exactly what you need.
- Tell us about: we’ll gather some pertinent underwriting information like, your age, driving history, any previous claims made, traffic tickets, kilometers driven annually, if driving to work, then kilometers driven one way to work, occupation etc.
- We do the Shopping for You: From the information gathered, our insurance advisors will obtain insurance quotes from several insurance companies and present to you the various quotes and explain the various coverages, limits, deductible, and optional coverages available for you to make an informed decision about your auto insurance needs.
- Renewals: our insurance advisors will review your policy to ensure that you are receiving the best premiums for the coverage you need.
Payment OptionsSeveral payment options are available like paying in monthly installments, quarterly payment or paying by a credit card.
ClaimsThe leading insurance companies that we represent provide 24/7 claim service.
Contact Bow Valley Insurance to get a no-obligation QuoteThere’s value in consulting an experienced insurance advisor at Bow Valley Insurance. Unlike signing up for car insurance by yourself online, our insurance advisor will collect information from you and find the most comprehensive policy at a very competitive price and provide you with different options for quick and effective comparison.
Please contact us at 403 297 9405 or 1-800-332-1308 or contact us here for a free, no-obligation quote with one of our knowledgeable, experienced insurance advisors.
Coverage is subject to policy wording, terms, conditions, and deductibles. Protection is limited to the perils, coverage, exclusions, and limits shown on the policy.