At Bow Valley Insurance we have been insurance needs for Albertan for the last 35 years. Our experience leads us in helping educate our clients on best practises for maintaining the lowest possible home and property insurance rates.
But now that we are finally nearing summer, it’s time for another common hazard that is sometimes forgotten — lightning, which every year in Canada causes as many as 10 deaths and 164 injuries. Taking a few precautions can avoid deaths & injuries.
- If planning outdoor activities, plan a safe day by checking the weather forecast and avoid being outdoors at that time or make an alternate plan.
- Look out for dark skies and developing thunderstorms. If you hear thunderstorms chances of being hit by lightning are very likely and immediately go to a safe location. A safe location is a fully enclosed building with electricity and plumbing. Picnic shelters, tents, sheds or covered porches do not provide protection from lightning.
- During thunderstorms and lightning, do not handle any electrical equipment or telephones. These are items are all electrical conductors.
- If on water, get to shore as fast as possible. Lighting hitting water travels beyond the point of contact and small boats with no cabins provides less protection.
- If there is no shelter nearby, stay away from tall objects like trees, poles, wires and fences. Take shelter in a low-lying area.
First aid for lightning victims
- Lightning victims do not carry an electrical charge and can be safely handled.
- Victims may be suffering from burns or shock and should receive medical attention immediately. Call 9-1-1 or your local ambulance service.
- If breathing has stopped, administer cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
Remember: in a thunderstorm, no place outdoors is safe. When thunder roars, go indoors!
Bow Valley Home Insurance Brokers
If you are at all concerned about the adequacy of your property, automobile, recreation property or vehicle insurance regarding lightning or hail damage, now is the time to contact us for a free, no obligation quote on the policies of one of the several national insurers we represent.