At Bow Valley Insurance we extend a heartfelt welcome to anyone temporarily resettling in Calgary while they await return to the Fort McMurray area. We hope you are able to return to your homes as soon as possible. We also salute the brave men and women who continue to stand their ground while fighting one of the worst wildfires in living memory.
For those that have been evacuated, up to date information is being provided through:
All evacuees are being asked to register with the Red Cross. It has also been requested that all donations be directed to the Red Cross, with the Alberta Government currently matching contributions made.
Response from Insurance Companies
At Bow Valley Insurance of Calgary, we independently broker home insurance policies from as many as several nationally recognised insurers. Our providers are currently responding to the needs of homeowners affected by the Fort Mc Murray and Wood Buffalo fire by:
- Setting up remote units at evacuations centres
- Increasing personnel across the province
- Extending call centre hours
- Maintaining response times at non-emergency levels
We recommend contacting your insurance company as soon as possible to initiate the claims process. Keep track of all your receipts and expenses as most policies will reimburse you for costs incurred while displaced.
Upon Your Return Home
Please be patient and do not return to your home until authorities have determined it is safe to do so. Once you have returned, continue the home insurance claims process.
- Call a building inspector to thoroughly check your property. If one is not available, wait for your insurance adjuster.
- Do not use any electricity, gas or water until given the go ahead from authorities.
- Thoroughly check your home for anything that may pose a hazard, such as strange odours or exposed wiring. Leave quickly if you discover anything unusual.
- Document your damages. Provide your home insurance company with photos, receipts, warranties and any other documentation of losses.
- Keep all receipts related to your cleanup effort.
We recommend that you have a copy of all of your valuable documents somewhere you can grab them and go. Scans contained on a thumb drive, or securely cloud stored on the web, could allow for greater peace of mind if you have to leave your home for a long period of time. We also recommend you continuously keep updating the list of your valuable possessions.
Contact Bow Valley Insurance for More Information