Parking your car in a safe, protected location is one of the easiest measures you can take to minimize the risk of vehicle theft, and it is even likely to help you save on your auto insurance premiums in Alberta. Whether you’re storing your vehicle at home, at work, or out on the town, safe parking makes a difference.
Lights, Cameras, Safety: Parking Tips for Alberta Drivers
Parking safety should start at home. That’s where your vehicle will be parked most often, and it’s the place over which you have the most control. Work is a close second. Ideally, you should develop a regular parking routine for both places.
- No matter where you choose to park, always lock your doors, roll up your windows, and take your keys with you.
- Any valuables in your vehicle should be stored out of sight to help deter any thief who’s looking for easy pickings.
- If you have a garage at home, use it! It is by far the most secure place you can park your vehicle, with the added perk of keeping your car sheltered from the weather. If you don’t have a garage, your driveway or a well-lit spot on the street are the next best options.
- If you work or play in an urban area, parking garages are a great option for security. The cameras, staff, and other security measures are excellent deterrents against thieves.
- Parking garages and public lots are common places for car accidents, however, so always look twice as you come and go.
- Even if you’re in an unfamiliar place, remember that thieves prefer to operate unseen, so look for well-lit areas with a steady flow of pedestrian traffic.
- A vehicle security system is an excellent, affordable deterrent, and may even help you save on your auto insurance in Alberta. You can choose a mechanical anti-theft device, an alarm, an electrical security system, or a combination of the three.
- A question about where you park is common when requesting an auto insurance quote, and parking is part of the equation used to determine auto insurance rates in Alberta.
Securing Contents to Keep Your Vehicle and Your Valuables Safe
While some thieves specifically target vehicles, others are just looking for the quickest possible way to make a buck. A smartphone, laptop, or other valuable item sitting in plain view in your vehicle is likely to grab the attention of both groups.
- Start by storing valuables out of sight, in the trunk, glove box, console, or even under a seat in a pinch. Just make sure that valuables can’t be seen by those passing by.
- Be extra vigilant about where you park while shopping. Popular shopping areas tend to have the advantage of heavy foot traffic and good lighting, but it’s still worth looking twice before choosing a parking spot.
- Remember that any valuable possessions in your vehicle are covered under your home insurance policy, rather than your auto insurance, so you need both types of coverage for full protection.
Bow Valley Insurance of Calgary – Serving Alberta
The harder you make it for a thief to steal your car or belongings, the less likely you are to be targeted. Even if parking safely means a slightly longer walk to your destination, the peace of mind is more than worth it.
The team at Bow Valley Insurance offers the home insurance and auto insurance options you need to protect your belongings. Get started with a free home insurance or auto insurance quote, and bundle to save!