Insurance brokers allow you to gain access to policies provided by several leading insurance companies to compare and determine the best coverage for your car insurance. Calgary residents have trusted Bow Valley Insurance to insure their cars, homes, and businesses for 35 years. Saving you valuable time, we do the shopping for you, providing a free rate comparison and assisting in the selection of the policy right for you.
Good driving habits equals less risk, and safer driving can result in lower car insurance rates. Here are seven good habits to get in to that will help to avoid accidents.
Driver-Vehicle Readiness: Take Proper Precautions and Prepare to Drive
Before you even enter your vehicle, take a look at exactly where your car is positioned and check for obstacles. It’s possible something has changed since you parked. Ensuring driver-vehicle readiness is extremely important.
Most drivers are very good at buckling up properly before hitting the road, but few of us consider whether we’re actually completely prepared for the trip. Check the following before putting your foot on the accelerator:
- Doors locked
- Headlights on
- Mirrors properly adjusted
- Seat positioned for effective control
- Seat-belts fastened for all passengers
The 6 Best Driving Habits to Lower Your Risk of an Accident
The majority of accidents are caused by human error, and studies show that driver error accounts for more than 80% of all injuries and fatalities. Avoid errors and keep your family safe:
1) Avoid distractions while driving — Phone calls, texts, children, pets and even billboards can sidetrack you; take precautions to reduce every possible disruption.
2) Monitor your speed — In general, it’s best to travel just under the speed limit; however, safe speeds are determined by road conditions. As your speed increases, the risk you will be involved in a serious accident increases.
In a 60 km/h zone, a vehicle travelling at:
- 5 km/h over the limit is twice as likely to have an accident
- 10 km/h over the limit is four times as likely to have an accident
- 15 km/h over the limit is 10 times as likely to have an accident
- 20 km/h over the limit is 32 times as likely to have an accident
*In poor road conditions, risk significantly increases.
3) Navigate turns and lane changes safely — A major cause of accidents, unsafe turns and unnecessary lane changes can be avoided:
- Check your mirrors and turn on your signal well before changing lanes
- Signal for at least five seconds before lane changes
- Signal for at least 10 seconds before turning
- Regularly check to make sure turn signals operate properly
4) Approach intersections with caution — At each stoplight, slow down and yield to aggressive drivers, even if the light is green and you have the right-of-way. Be aware of any blind spots and scan conditions continuously around your vehicle. Come to a complete stop at all stop signs.
5) Allow enough distance between you and the car ahead of you — Tailgating is a major cause of traffic accidents and if you hit the car in front of you it can cause a chain reaction or pile-up. Allow at least one car-length for each 15 kilometers of speed between you and the car in front of you.
6) Get plenty of rest before driving — 41 per cent of drivers admit to falling asleep behind the wheel at some time during their lifetime. Getting plenty of sleep before you drive lowers your risk of an accident.
Lower Car Insurance Calgary: Bow Valley Insurance
At Bow Valley Insurance, we encourage everyone to consider driver-vehicle readiness use their best habits to avoid an accident. Remaining claims free keeps your insurance rates low, and since habits develop at a young age, we encourage you to teach teens well. Good driving habits equals less risk and lower car insurance in Calgary. Please request an insurance quote from Bow Valley today!